It’s a common topic of discussion these days, about the chest pain and heart attack. Several videos and writings regarding the topic and how to manage it is flying through the social media daily. Yes, it is a serious thing. But, do you think every chest pain of yours is a heart attack?. I thought to share with you what is my knowledge on the topic.
A chest pain which is felt like pressing, squeezing, choking or bursting and radiating to the left hand, shoulders, and left side of neck and jaw could be a serious symptom of a heart attack. At the same time, it could be a minor attack of angina pectoris. So,
what is the difference between Angina Pectoris and Myocardial Infarction(MI)?
- Angina Pectoris is a symptom
- Anginal pain is expressed as squeezing, chocking type felt at the Sternum
- Angina can be different types
- Caused by a decrease in oxygen supply to the heart muscles or an increased demand of oxygen
- Maybe precipitated by activity or can occur during rest
- ECG change noticed – ST depression
- Investigated with the help of Stress Test
- Relieved by rest or administration of Nitroglycerine
- MI is a medical emergency
- The chest pain is expressed to be crushing and typically spreads from the heart to the left arm, shoulders, jaw, neck, and back
- Caused by the damaged myocardial cells resulting from myocardial infarction (lack of oxygen supply to myocardium)
- ECG shows a T wave inversion and an ST segment depression or elevation
- Investigated mainly by labs – cardiac enzyme levels
- Not relieved by rest or any medicines. Needed supportive therapy with Oxygen, analgesics, and positioning
Do you get additional points to add? .Please comment in the comment box.
Have a happy, pain-free life …